Two 9i DBs on Win Server 2003

From: <JApplewhite_at_austinisd.org>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 08:38:26 -0600

Any issues with having two 9i (9.2.0.4) databases on the same Win 2003 server? We've had one small departmental Production DB on this server for about 3 years and want to put another there. We have lots of HPUX and Linux servers with multiple DBs and know how to do that very well.

I've put Oracle DBs on Win servers since Oracle7, but don't recall that I ever had two on the same machine at once. All I think I need to do is use the oradim utility to create a new Windows Service and put a pfile in ORACLE_HOME\database pointing to the one for the new DB, along with a password file. The new DB will use the same ORACLE_HOME as the existing one and, of course, I'll make sure I adjust the SGA, etc. of the new DB so that it fits in available memory.

Any gotchas that y'all have encountered or things I've forgotten?

Thanks.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator Austin I.S.D.
414.9715 (phone) / 935.5929 (pager)