RE: Multiple ASM instances on 2-node RAC Cluster

From: Matthew Zito <>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:18:27 -0500

I don't believe you can run multiple ASM instances on a single node. Why don't you move the ASM instance into a separate home? That way, you can patch production or dev without patching the asm instance.

[] On Behalf Of Brian Lucas Sent: Friday, February 15, 2008 2:26 PM
To: Oracle L
Subject: Multiple ASM instances on 2-node RAC Cluster

I have a situation where I want to have two Oracle 10g2 Homes on my 2-node RAC cluster that ASM already uses ASM. The reason: I want two distinct production environment, one that stays fairly consistent with patches and the other that is allowed to diverge (stay at older releases). I can't share the same ASM home because the ASM binaries reside in the Oracle home and if I patch it, I have to down ASM which means shutting down all production databases. I want the second ASM instance to be RAC enabled so that this new home's services can span both nodes.

Can this be done? Does anyone have a setup like this? What are the issues you've encountered, if any?