Re: ASM administrative guidelines

From: Jeffery Thomas <jeffthomas24_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 08:25:38 -0500

I received a number of replies in private, and the consensus was just two disk groups per cluster. Are there some inherent reasons for having only two disk groups, other than for administrative simplicity? Are there issues with having a large number of disk groups? For example, we may be looking at EMC Snapview to perform our backups on a cluster that will have multiple databases. Accordingly, we would have to segregate each database so that each has its own set of disk groups, a minimum of 3 per database: data, flash, and online redo logs.

Thanks,
Jeff