RE: Synchronizing database data - intercontinental dependencies...

From: Marco Gralike <Marco.Gralike_at_AMIS.nl>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:00:04 +0100

Thanks to all, a lot of food for though here.

Although I have no idea yet what the customer limitations are yet, the initial orientating question was very sparse regarding limits / bounderies, I will pass the suggestions onwards, and see what happens. If there is something to share, then I will via this resource.

In the meanwhile, thanks, and new insights are welcome.

Marco

Van: August Spier [mailto:gus.spier_at_gmail.com] Verzonden: wo 13-2-2008 15:48
Aan: oracle-l Freelists
CC: Marco Gralike
Onderwerp: Re: Synchronizing database data - intercontinental dependencies...

On Feb 13, 2008, at 9:14 AM, Nigel Thomas wrote:

        Marcus

	Multi-master replication is a bitch (logically as well as technically). Ideally you want to know where / when data is updated; and if possible have a single master for each row, or at least a well understood conflict resolution policy.
	<SNIP>

I worked once on a multimaster replication implementation where we associated individual rows with the owning master site by assigning a series of numbers to each master site ... thus, EUROPE primary key might be between 1000000000 to 1999999999; PACIFIC primary key ranged between 2000000000 to 299999999, etc.

It works great as long as you can be assured you're never going to run out of numbers.

r,

Gus