Re: Tuning RMAN backup and recovery

From: Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 15:55:27 -0600

Just wanted to follow-up here as well. I finally decided to file an SR, and Oracle came back pretty quickly with Note 462879.1 [0], fixed in 10.2.0.4 and 11g. It seems that, in this bug, queries against v$rman_status table can take an extremely long time, and that table is queried for every datafile switch during RMAN DUPLICATEs

Workarounds are to either set sesiion-level optimization to RULE based, or to gather fixed object statistics via dbms_stats.gather_fixed_objects_stats();.

I've done the latter, but haven't had an opportunity to perform another restore as our development instances are needed until the next release in two weeks. I'll report back with results when I do.

[0] https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/f?p=130:14:6987901499320050620::::p14_database_id,p14_docid,p14_show_header,p14_show_help,p14_black_frame,p14_font:NOT,462879.1,1,1,1,helvetica

--
Don Seiler
http://seilerwerks.wordpress.com