RE: RMAN RESTORE TO NEW SERVER

From: Wolfson Larry - lwolfs <lawrence.wolfson_at_acxiom.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 10:21:39 -0600

Appreciate the response, Andy,

    I'll try this.

    THANKS!

From: Andy Rivenes [mailto:arivenes_at_llnl.gov] Sent: Friday, February 08, 2008 4:56 PM
To: Wolfson Larry - lwolfs; ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: RMAN RESTORE TO NEW SERVER

Hi Larry, if you're using SET NEWNAME then I don't think placing it in a run block by itself is going to take, even with the SWITCH DATAFILE ALL. This approach has always worked for me:

# . orasetup <SID>
# export NSR_CLIENT=<source host>
# svrmgrl
# SVRMGR> connect internal
# SVRMGR> startup nomount restrict;
# SVRMGR> exit
# rman> @rman_restore.<SID>
#

run {
allocate channel t1 type 'SBT_TAPE';
allocate channel t2 type 'SBT_TAPE'
#

set newname for datafile '/u03/oradata/TRGT8/system01.dbf' to '/u05/oradata/COPY8/system01.dbf';
set newname for datafile '/u04/oradata/TRGT8/psidx01.dbf' to '/u06/oradata/COPY8/psidx01.dbf';
set newname for datafile '/u02/oradata/TRGT8/sysrbc01.dbf' to '/u08/oradata/COPY8/sysrbc01.dbf';
#

restore ( database );
#

release channel t1;
release channel t2;
}

As you can tell the example is old, which is in my notes for restoring to another machine. Note the svrmgrl command. However, I believe the RMAN syntax is still valid. I think that if you want to switch the datafiles, which in your case seems appropriate, that you would place that command right after the restore. At least that's what I got out of the RMAN reference manual. Good luck.

Andy Rivenes

At 11:20 AM 2/8/2008, Wolfson Larry - lwolfs wrote:

          I've tried the SET NEWNAME command and when I run it it says it worked but the files always want to go to original place.

	 RUN
	    {
	SET NEWNAME FOR DATAFILE '/x/system01.dbf'  TO '/y/system01.dbf'
;
	    SWITCH DATAFILE ALL;
	    }

The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged.

If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please resend this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system.

Thank you.