Re: Authentication Problem

From: Jared Still <>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 10:25:33 -0800

On Jan 30, 2008 6:53 PM, Jack van Zanen <> wrote:

> When creating the domain user in the database you use double quotes ( "OPS$<domainname>\<username>"
> ). It than becomes case sensitive as well. Make sure the case is spot on.
> log on to the database as a dba user and look in v$session to see exact
> spelling of your os account.
> Jack

Creating an account with domainnname/username is not necessary when connecting
to Oracle on unix/linux from a windows client.

I just created an account on 2 different databases on linux using "OPS$<myusername>".
No domain name.

One server knows how to authenticate via AD, the other does not.

Both allowed an OS authenticated login from a Windows client.

Setting remote_os_authent=true is a rather dangerous option.

If is *extremely* easy for a windows client to gain ownership of the database when remote_os_authent=true.

If you set it, you better be using invited_nodes in sqlnet.ora to limit who can get to the database.

Jared Still