RE: Fw: So who said it first .... (semi off topic)

From: Cary Millsap <>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 10:48:25 -0600

I certainly did not invent the idea. I was probably introduced to it by studying guys like Donald Knuth and Jon Bentley back before I had ever heard of Oracle.

The general idea apparently dates back to 1668, if not before: :-)

The earliest written reference in my own writing is, I believe, on pp289-290 of Optimizing Oracle Performance, where I describe the principle as a "well-worn joke."

Cary Millsap

Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.

Nullius in verba

Hotsos Symposium 2008 / March 2-6 / Dallas

Visit for curriculum and schedule details...

[] On Behalf Of Robyn Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2008 10:15 AM To:
Cc: oracle-l
Subject: Re: Fw: So who said it first .... (semi off topic)

hmmm ... suppose I need to check with Cary and Anjo and see if they can attribute the original sentiment to someone.

I really hope it's someone other than Cary ... I'm already quoting his work on two methods; I'd like to have a little more variety in my references :)

I do like the quote from Anjo. It's more precise than the one I was planning to use.

thank you and additional recollections would be appreciated ... Robyn

On 2/3/08, Nigel Thomas <> wrote:

I'm inclined to think Cary may have got it off Dave Ensor/Graham Wood/Chris Ellis. We used that philosophy in the Oracle UK Performance Studies Group back around 89-91. But I doubt I have any surviving references...

Cheers Nigel

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams