Re: Tomcat and Oracle 10g RAC versions ?

From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:36:29 -0500

On 1/31/08, Crisler, Jon <Jon.Crisler_at_usi.com> wrote:

> Does anybody with some exposure to Tomcat know the minimum version of
> Tomcat required to connect to a 10.2 RAC db ? We have some info that
> Tomcat 5.5 might be required, but we are not really sure. Any input is
> welcome.

I think the important thing here is that your JDBC version is compatible. Metalink note 207303.1 lists compatible client and server versions. As of today, it says that clients 10.1.0 and newer are supported, 9.2 is on extended support and 8.1.7 used to be supported. Frankly most versions will be functional (since they all use the same basic wire protocol) but I'd avoid the older versions if possible.

There was a bug with some older JDBC clients that prevented failover. (Bug 2834792, Aug 2003.) I had a client a few months ago who had to use an older version of the JDBC client because of some unresolved problems with the new versions (I think around multithreading and VARRAYS getting returned from stored procedures) and this put them in quite a pickle when I pointed out that they needed to upgrade to fix their RAC failover problems. But you shouldn't have any problems running Tomcat with RAC.

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Schneider
Chicago, IL