Re: The problem is that SQL*Net is too chatty, because FTP runs fine.

From: David Taft <oradbt054_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 16:59:52 -0500

Mark,

It is a materialized view complete refresh. The source is always the same (US-EC). The ultimate target is in a new data center (US-SE). This refresh was duplicated to US-SW as a sanity check comparison. Your last statement about the queue situation is interesting. When we graphed our throughput testing on the refresh, it does start out faster and then steps down over time. We are in the process of rerunning all tests. One piece of info I was given before needs to be corrected. When asked in a meeting (I didn't attend), the network group did say they could give us traceroute statistics, but they said it wouldn't show anything because our connection is set up as a tunnel. I am guessing that means that even if there are router hops along the way, we can't see them from inside the tunnel? Also, I agree with everything you said in the second paragraph. I got pulled into this situation after it had already progressed to the point it is at now. I am hoping we can find a resolution rather than digressing to trying to prove somebody else's stuff is the problem.

David