Wierd resistance to upgrade

From: Taylor, Chris David <Chris.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:29:00 -0600

Any of you guys/gals ever run into something like this?

I'm trying to upgrade our Grid Control Release 2 to Release 4. We've recently migrated many of our databases to 64bit and have freed up several 32bit boxes.

Our existing GC Rel 2 server box is underpowered for having all the components installed on it. I've installed the new version on a previous development box that is much more powerful and am ready to start moving the jobs from Rel 2 to Rel. 4. Now I'm being told to hold off and not spend time on this "project". But I'm not being given a clear reason why.

I've never been held back before when trying to upgrade our environment when there is a server available and not spending any additional $$$. I would expect resistance if I was asking the company to shell out money, but this is ridiculous. (or seems that way anyway). I have asked mgmt for reasons why they are resistant and hopefully will be given something to maybe explain this.

Or maybe I'm just in a bad mood.

GRRRRR       Chris Taylor

Sr. Oracle DBA

Ingram Barge Company