Re: TAF and node failover non RAC oracle 10.2

From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:51:52 -0500

Yes, this will work. But you need to set LOAD_BALANCE=NO in your TNSNAMES entry below so that your app always connects to node 1 unless it's down. Also, you probably want to set your RETRIES and DELAY to higher values.

Hemant makes a good point that connect-time failover probably does what you're looking for. However one benefit of TAF is that if you have a query-based application then the database driver can transparently re-connect without returning any errors to your app. Some apps don't automatically reconnect to the DB when the connection drops and don't deal well with this situation.

-Jeremy

On 1/30/08, hrishy <hrishys_at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Can TAF be used to detect node failover and redirect
> the connections to a new node using retry and delay so
> all my clients detect that host db1 is down and need
> to start connecting to db2 .
>
> I am not using RAC.Oracle version is 10.2
>

> GRID =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST =
> my.db1.com)(PORT = 1521))