Intel (e1000) vs Broadcom (tg3) NICs for Oracle RAC

From: Reardon, Bruce \(RTABBAY\) <Bruce.Reardon_at_riotinto.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:15:10 +1100

Alex,
What OS are you talking about?
If Windows, be aware that some Broadcom chipsets have problems with the TCP Offload Chimney that is enabled by default in the Scalable Networking Pack (SNP) that is part of Windows 2003(R2) SP2.

Eg see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942861

This can lead to the TCP keepalivetime function not working and thus orphan sessions building up in the database - eg when clients reboot or lose network connectivity.
I'll be posting more on this in a separate posting.

HTH,
Bruce Reardon

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 18:07:23 -0500
From: "Alex Gorbachev" <ag_at_oracloid.com> Subject: Intel (e1000) vs Broadcom (tg3) NICs for Oracle RAC

Anyone has any insights on which NIC's are more reliable?

We have clients using both and they work quite nice but I'm doing one install and the machines have abundance of NIC's so I can choose. I don't have any preference ...

Cheers,
Alex

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are private and confidential and may contain privileged information. If you are not an authorised recipient, the copying or distribution of this e-mail and any attachments is prohibited and you must not read, print or act in reliance on this e-mail or attachments. This notice should not be removed.
--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Jan 29 2008 - 17:15:10 CST

Original text of this message