SAN Recommendations - Fact Finding - Help

From: Taylor, Chris David <Chris.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:56:24 -0600

My PC/LAN manager came by and asked me if I could gather some recommendations for SANs for companies running Oracle. Or types of SANS even. That's real cut and dried is it not? (Tongue planted firmly in cheek)

Anyway, I know everybody and their brother seems to be an Oracle partner, so there's really no help there.

So, now I'm wondering how I come up with information to answer this rather vague question.

I know we used to use an HP MSA1000 (entry-level SAN) that we had a terrible experience with. I don't know if it was solely the hardware's fault, or a combination of the hardware and lack of expertise setting it up.

I assume I should start with a list of features we would like to have and then cross reference those with vendors that can supply those features?

Anyone know if Oracle provides consultation and recommendations for storage?

Thoughts?

Chris Taylor

Sr. Oracle DBA

Ingram Barge Company