RE: Interrupt fencing on Sun

From: Rob Dempsey <>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 17:02:24 -0000

I have encountered this before on a 48 CPU sun machine.

2 CPUs we set aside for network traffic, but this was because the server was under a heavy network load

Check out (section 12) f

[] On Behalf Of fairlie rego Sent: 21 January 2008 10:34
To: Oracle-L
Subject: Interrupt fencing on Sun

On a 8 node RAC with 128 cpus Sun and Veritas have recommended that the customer set aside 2 cpus on each node for processing network interrupts exclusively.

This was suggested after a situation where VCS was unable to process cluster heartbeat messages in a timely manner due to Sun attempting to process the network interrupt thread on the same CPU which was running the cluster communication thread.

I would like to know if any other large customers have set aside cpus exclusively to handle network interrupts and if so what percentage of total CPUs

Thanks much

Fairlie Rego
Senior Oracle Consultant

M: +61 402 792 405