Intel (e1000) vs Broadcom (tg3) NICs for Oracle RAC

From: Alex Gorbachev <ag_at_oracloid.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 18:07:23 -0500

Hi all,

Anyone has any insights on which NIC's are more reliable?

We have clients using both and they work quite nice but I'm doing one install and the machines have abundance of NIC's so I can choose. I don't have any preference so I searched Metalink and the results so far:
- 35 bugs for keyword e1000

  • 37 bugs for keyword tg3 However, it might be that least common card has more problems or it might not mean anything since most bugs don't have anything with NIC's as I can see. For tg3 I see couple bugs - 6121464 and 5747977.

I think I see e1000 more often so I would tend to go this way.

Oh... on one site, an SA bonded e1000 and tg3 and it actually worked (though, I asked to reconfigure just in case).

Cheers,
Alex

--
Alex Gorbachev, Oracle DBA Brewer, The Pythian Group
http://www.pythian.com/blogs/author/alex http://www.oracloid.com