RE: Gathering of Statistics

From: Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 08:25:47 -0500

Agreed. Most COTS applications treat Oracle like a glorified file system. They typically do not have experienced Oracle staff developing the application and know nothing about the internals.

I typically gather stats regularly without even asking them. Just make it a part of all of the background jobs (like backups) that I run for every database.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jack van Zanen Sent: Friday, January 25, 2008 7:10 AM
To: ronnie_doggart_at_lagan.com
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Gathering of Statistics

I do not expect them to supply the scripts, however I do expect them to be able to supply the information needed for proper statistics.

It often is a futile expectation though.

Jack

On 25/01/2008, Ronnie Doggart <ronnie_doggart_at_lagan.com> wrote:

        Hi All,

        If you purchase an application from a supplier would you expect them to supply a script for gathering statistics on their schema and to make recommendations on how frequently the statistics should be gathered ?

        Ronnie

        The information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Please immediately contact the sender if you have received this message in error.

        The views and opinions expressed in this email may not reflect the views and opinions of any member of Lagan Technologies Limited, or any of its subsidiaries.

        Lagan Technologies Limited is a company registered in Northern Ireland with registration number NI 28773. The registered office of Lagan Technologies Limited is 209 Airport Road West, Belfast, Co. Antrim, BT3 9EZ.

J.A. van Zanen