Re: patchsets and CPUs

From: Stefan Knecht <>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:23:23 +0100

I would consider the upgrade process as a separate task.

Especially if the database has a history of previous upgrades there's plenty of things that can go wrong during catpugrd without having the additional catcpu changes messing around with your data dictionary.

I always do the upgrade itself first, then apply any additional patches (only exception being interim patches for known bugs occurring during the upgrade process)

On Jan 24, 2008 12:23 AM, Joe Smith <> wrote:

> How do most people apply patchsets and CPUs? All at once or one at a
> time?
> I have usually applied the patchset and then upgraded the
> database. Follow up by applying the CPU and then running catcpu.sql to
> upgrade the database.
> Somebody is telling me to apply both patches to the oracle home then
> upgrade the databases by running catupgrade and catcpu.
> What do most people do?
> thanks.
> Shed those extra pounds with MSN and The Biggest Loser! Learn more.<>

Stefan P Knecht
Infrastructure Managed Services

Trivadis AG
Europa-Strasse 5