Re: Oracle Application Server Admin

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 08:58:28 -0800

On Jan 22, 2008 2:31 PM, Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_oneneck.com> wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I've recently been enlisted as the admin for Oracle App Server 10gR2 and
> every day I'm realizing more and more how much effort this is going to
> require for setup and ongoing support. I have no prior App Server
> experience so this is no minor task for me to pick up. This is our
> company's first experience with OAS so we're trying to figure out whose
> responsibility it should be ultimately and I'm just curious what other shops
> typically do. Are any of you DBAs also being asked to take on OAS admin
> (similar to an "Apps DBA"), or do your shops have dedicated staff for this
> role, or another group that takes this on in addition to their primary role?

When we upgraded to eBiz apps 11.x, which requires OAS, I became the admin for that stuff.

It is a headache.

Configuration and setup is poorly documented.

Anything you want to do that you haven't done before will likely require several SR's.

eg. I setup SSO (single sign on) on eBiz apps list year, to work in conjunction with
Active Directory.

That was extremely time consuming, required many hours of testing to figure out
which docs were right, which were wrong, and to document the procedures.

Everything touches OAS when you have an app that depends on it.

Have fun!

--
Jared Still