Re: Oracle Application Server Admin

From: Louis BROUILLETTE <Louis.Brouillette_at_uqtr.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 09:22:45 -0500

Like everything else that has Oracle written on it, I have to install and configure it (we're a small team). 2 or 3 years ago, I installed a new version that doesn't require an infrastructure. What a relief. We only use the mod_plsql, some reports, very few forms and the WebCache. By the way, the WebCache is very effective. We use it for all static files and some plsql procedures.

Once you get it up and running (and it's not so bad without the infrastructure), it requires little attention. I apply the CPUs and that's almost it.
At 17:31 2008-01-22, Allen, Brandon wrote:
>Hi List,
>
>I've recently been enlisted as the admin for Oracle App Server 10gR2
>and every day I'm realizing more and more how much effort this is
>going to require for setup and ongoing support. I have no prior App
>Server experience so this is no minor task for me to pick up. This
>is our company's first experience with OAS so we're trying to figure
>out whose responsibility it should be ultimately and I'm just
>curious what other shops typically do. Are any of you DBAs also
>being asked to take on OAS admin (similar to an "Apps DBA"), or do
>your shops have dedicated staff for this role, or another group that
>takes this on in addition to their primary role?
>
>Thanks,
>Brandon
>
>Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message
>or attachments hereto. Please advise immediately if you or your
>employer do not consent to Internet email for messages of this kind.
>Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do
>not relate to the official business of this company shall be
>understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.

Louis Brouillette
Analyste en informatique (DBA)
Universite du Quebec a Trois-Rivieres
Tel: (819) 376-5011 ext. 2435