RE: RAC Vs Standby Database between Primary and Secondary Data Centers

From: Goulet, Dick <richard.goulet_at_capgemini.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 13:15:53 -0500

OH DEAR, yes. Human error, mount the same san disk on two systems at different times (1 week apart) and see what happens. Newfs does wonderful things!!

Dick Goulet / Capgemini
North America P&C / East Business Unit
Senior Oracle DBA / Hosting
Office: 508.573.1978 / Mobile: 508.742.5795 / www.capgemini.com Fax: 508.229.2019 / Email: richard.goulet_at_capgemini.com 45 Bartlett St. / Marlborough, MA 01752

Together: the Collaborative Business Experience

From: Jared Still [mailto:jkstill_at_gmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:12 PM
To: Goulet, Dick
Cc: dannorris_at_dannorris.com; mssql_2002_at_yahoo.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: RAC Vs Standby Database between Primary and Secondary Data Centers

On Jan 22, 2008 7:02 AM, Goulet, Dick <richard.goulet_at_capgemini.com> wrote:

            I'm sorry, but I have not had similar experience. Most SAN installs that I've worked on have mirrored disk, dual or better interface cards as well as cabling so that there isn't just one path to the drives. I have tried NAS setups that have failed badly, but thankfully those were in a testing mode. Never trust a sales droid, always push the "press-to-test" button.

The SAN's I have experience with have all that - dual HBA's, multipath,. etc.

They are still subject to failure and human error.

As usual, human error is the biggie.

--
Jared Still