RE: memory problem - oracle 10203 on HPUX

From: <krish.hariharan_at_quasardb.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 18:20:12 -0700

Ujang,

Since you mention RAC I suspect this is probably node eviction - the cause could be cpu utilization (not mentioned) or swap consumption preventing heart beat messages and consequently resulting in node eviction. Look at the ocssd.log on the surviving node. How many nodes in your cluster and how busy are the other nodes (cpu, swap)?

If my understanding of memory usage is correct (as seen in Solaris) the process maps the SGA and is part of its virtual space and has to reserve swap proportional to it. I address that using shared servers (MTS) since only a few processes (in your case 50) need be active and not the 1500 since you can get away with about 75 shared servers processes (if you are not already using this capability).

The system logs or the crs/css logs will give you that information. The other thing to look for is the progressive build up and usage of swap.

Regards,
-Krish

Krish Hariharan
President/Executive Architect, Quasar Database Technologies, LLC http://www.linkedin.com/in/quasardb