RE: Determine dump file size

From: William Wagman <wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 15:05:30 -0800

Greetings,

There are a couple of bugs with the datapump incorrectly estimating space for tables with LOBS.Look at bug 5599947. It is still being worked and deals with slow datapump export using lobs. There is no patch available as work is still in progress. Look also at bug 6491831 10.2.0.3 RDBMS, DATA PUMP ESTIMATE NOT ACCURATE. I don't know if this is relevant to your case but I just encountered the problem.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center
wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu
(530) 754-6208

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Ram Raman Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 12:14 PM
To: Oracle List
Subject: Re: Determine dump file size

Thanks all who replied.

I was able to see the total estimated size using expdp in a small database, but it was hanging for over an hour for a DB of size ~200G. I had to kill it. Jared's script helped too.

On 1/17/08, Tony Sequeira <tony_at_sequeira.org.uk> wrote:

	On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 13:27 -0600, Ram Raman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to determine the dump file size before the
export
> starts? I plan to do a full export of a database. ver 10.2.
>
> Thanks.
What I used to do back in the days of Oracle7. Unix or Unix tools required. Create a "named pipe" (mknod), pipe an export to this file, and wc -c the result. Have a google search. -- S. Anthony Sequeira ++ Smear the road with a runner!! ++ -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l