RE: compelling arguments for a ThirdParty Cluster

From: Oliver Jost <Oliver.Jost_at_ca.fujitsu.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:09:12 -0500

Data can be protected in a number of ways, including RAID... You can have the data redundancy set using external and internal (mirroring using Oracle or another means... Oracle uses stripes of 1MB across whatever devices you present... e.g. Oracle can stripe across your RAID creating the equivalent of a plaid). I was more mentioning the protection of data in reference to node failure (CRS)... There is an entire process of checking Oracle uses to manage the latest, greatest block during failure and synchronization of the global cache. Your concern was loss/corruption of data when there is a failure. You can check Metalink document 144152.1 for details (9i RAC) on recovery, it is nicely detailed and from what I've gathered from Oracle has not changed too much between 9i and 10G.

Oliver