Problem with ALTER TYPE command

From: Davey, Alan <>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 10:27:02 -0500

I am getting an error when trying to execute:
>alter type target_kernel_demo

add attribute (num_periods integer) cascade; alter type crabers.target_kernel_demo
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-22312: must specify either CASCADE or INVALIDATE option

I even specified 'cascade' in all caps, but Oracle didn't seem to understand what I meant ;-)

There is another object that is dependent on this object type: CREATE OR REPLACE
type tbl_target_kernel_demo is table of target_kernel_demo; /

The strange thing is that the alter type worked fine on my development database, but is failing on a test database. The database version of both is and running on Windows. It could be possible that one has a different patch set though.

The Oracle Error book says that the alter type command could abort if there were dependencies, but I can't find any others. I also tried the FORCE option but I got the same error message.

Does anyone have any other ideas of what I could look for or try?

Alan Davey
Senior Developer
Advertising Systems Group
Harris Corporation, Broadcast Communications 4 Century Drive
Parsippany, NJ 07054