RE: df shows 100% on a empty filesystem-

From: <krish.hariharan_at_quasardb.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 18:05:18 -0700

We have seen this in our large environments where several hundred gb gets tied up. Removing the files will not work since you are only manipulating the directory entries and unless the inode is released the OS will not release the space and that will happen only when the process that has those file handles open, closes them or is terminated. We end up shutting down the database and on occasion reboot the server. When you move files across file system you are again copying the files and then removing the directory entries in the source file systems. The process that has the files open is not affected by the rename/removal of a file's directory entry.

I have looked at these processes using the files by using fuser but I haven't found that generally useful since it tends to dump all the oracle processes. The other utility that I know of but haven't used is lsof which gives the list of open files.

A long shot: One approach you may be able to take is to issue an archive log stop for a brief period (not sure if this will stop the archiver or not since the alert log says it is deprecated and the processes are still hanging around) and see if it posts/causes the archiver to release the file handles and allow the os the release the space (assuming that you have sufficiently large and a large number of redo log groups such that transaction processing is not arrested).

Regards,

-Krish

Krish Hariharan

President/Executive Architect, Quasar Database Technologies, LLC

http://www.linkedin.com/in/quasardb