Re: Advantage of ThirdParty Cluster over Oracle Supplied Free one

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 21:36:23 +0000

You could reverse them if you want. I have this cluster solution that

Is new.
Only helps one of our key technologies.
Can be slower than existing cluster solutions. Is unknown to the people that adminster it.

Presumably that might fly better?

General applicability, ease of adoption and performance tend to be quite good arguments. Admittedly I only work for a billion pound turnover organisation, and it doesn't do cutting edge, but they are certainly things we'd consider. I know of people who, quite reasonably regard VMS as an objectively superior OS to Windows, curiously VMS doesn't outsell Windows anywhere much - even in the data centres of multi-million dollar corporates.

In general I guess I'm saying that the technical best solution - and I'm not convinced v2 of a cluster solution is it - isn't the most appropriate for business needs, and which technology is chosen is in the end a business choice.

Niall

Niall