Re: Advantage of ThirdParty Cluster over Oracle Supplied Free one

From: Dan Norris <dannorris_at_dannorris.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 10:27:01 -0800 (PST)

I'd like to add two things:
1. Many platforms require their clusterware to support their cluster filesystem. So, in many cases, if you want a cluster filesystem, you'll need their clusterware to support it. 2. Some admins object to the way that Oracle Clusterware does fencing (STONITH). I think that some of the product pitches offered by the third-party clusterware vendors pick on this point as some sort of weakness in Oracle Clusterware. Regardless of anyone's opinion, some admins choose the third-party product because of this difference.

Those plus what Niall mentioned are the only decent (well, #2 is up for debate as a "decent" reason...) reasons I've heard. The main count against using third party clusterware IMO is the additional complexity of adding more non-Oracle software to an already complex software stack.

Dan