Re: 9i OEM standalone console, TNS_ADMIN and tnsnames.ora

From: Tony Sequeira <tony_at_sequeira.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 13:39:15 +0000

Yes, forgive me for not making it clear.

This is a client installation.

I believed TNS_ADMIN worked with 9i client.

It works OK with 10g client, 9i client and 11g client, with the exception of 9i OEM Console 'Add Database Tree', which fails to recognise the names in the tnsnames.ora, even though it does recognise the env var?

Is this a 9i problem? Anyone out there running a 9i client with an OEM Console using TNS_ADMIN?

I cannot find any references to it in Google or Metalink.

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 07:21 -0600, Andrew Kerber wrote:
> I have run into some strange occurrences with the 10g listener
> appearing to not like to coexist with the 11g sqlplus and vice-versa.
> I haven't really had time to track it down, but there does appear to
> be some problems.
>
> On Jan 16, 2008 6:17 AM, Tony Sequeira <tony_at_sequeira.org.uk> wrote:
> I recently installed 10g client and 11g client on my laptop
> which had a
> 9i client already installed.
>
> All seems well, *except* (there's always something), that 9i
> OEM console
> will not bring up the list of entries in my tnsnames.ora, with
> a new
> system environment variable TNS_ADMIN.
>
> 10g OEM works OK.
>
> 9i tools, SQL*Plus, Net Manager (even from the OEM console)
> all work
> fine.
>
> I don't want to use 9i ORACLE_HOME/network/admin for as my
> TNS_ADMIN
> directory, though I may have to.
>
> Any ideas?
> --
> S. Anthony Sequeira
> ++
> Don't say "yes" until I finish talking.
> -- Darryl F. Zanuck
> ++

> Andrew W. Kerber

S. Anthony Sequeira
++
Heavier than air flying machines are impossible.
		-- Lord Kelvin, President, Royal Society, c. 1895
++