Re: RMAN Compression experiences

From: Suresh Chaganti <chaganti.suresh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 15:56:53 -0600

My experience is it depends whether the system is CPU bound or I/O bound.

In my last gig, there were plenty resources and compression ran fast and disk space was consumed less. And even though, CPU consumption was high becuase of compression, it was not adversely affecting generall performance of the application.

In my new project, the system is already CPU bound with hitting 100% utilization regularly ( we are investigating addition of node /cpus) and we actually removed compression to have it complete faster. And the perforamnce did improve a bit.

Regards
Suresh