RMAN Compression verses cold

From: <Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 13:49:15 -0500

Just took a database from 1 ½ hours cold backup to compressed RMAN hot backup that took 4 ½ hours, (oracle version 10.2.0.1). Only one backup so far. (one Disk Channel). BTW the cold backup 'compress'ed the files also ('*.Z').

To continue comfortably, I'd about have to do a level 0 on a weekend and either a level 1 the rest of time, or the rest of the week and repeat, (or similar).

I believe I should be able to pick this up in terms of time. Both backups were to internal drives, one mount point. Although a san could be in the future, not now, (db files go to san).

I have R. Freemans book, (half way through), but would like a couple comments, or pages. First it seems odd to be so much longer during the same time period even if it is an entire backup.

I noticed this on other databases as well.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
joel.patterson_at_crowley.com
x72546
904 727-2546

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Allen, Brandon Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 1:04 PM
To: j.miranda_at_sermatica.es; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: RMAN Compression experiences

My only negative experience with it so far was that the restores took twice as long. This timing was pretty consistent through testing it about 5 times. This was with Oracle 10.2.0.2, AIX 5.3 and Netbackup 6.0. My backups were consistently faster and much smaller so that's great, but with the restores taking twice as long we decided it wasn't acceptable for our production database, but it's great for test & dev.

Regards,

Brandon