RE: URGENT 8.1.7 recovery question

From: Hemant K Chitale <>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 22:45:03 +0800

If you need to recover the database until a specific point in time in the past you must use the backup controlfile. Your command would be RECOVER DATABASE USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE UNTIL ... {if you're recovering upto a specific archivelog, you could specify UNTIL that log file or just UNTIL CANCEL and issue a CANCEL command after applying that last archivelog}.
Since that would be an Incomplete Recovery you must OPEN RESETLOGS.

If, however, you do have the current controlfiles AND the online redo log files intact you can do a complete recovery (right upto the last transaction in the online redo log) using the _current_ controlfile. Then your command would be RECOVER DATABASE {not with the "BACKUP CONTROLFILE", not with the "UNTIL..." syntax}.
That would be a Complete Recovery and you do not need to (should not have to) OPEN RESETLOGS. Hemant K Chitale
At 03:39 AM Tuesday, Bobak, Mark wrote:
>You shouldn't replace the controlfile w/ a backup unless it's
>missing or corrupted.
>Mark J. Bobak
>[] On Behalf Of Taylor, Chris David
>Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 2:28 PM
>Subject: RE: URGENT 8.1.7 recovery question
>I neglected to mention that I will replace the controlfiles
>(correct?) With the ones from the backup.
>Seems like I have to a 'recover database using backup controlfile
>until time to_date('01/14/2008 12:31:00','MM/DD/YYYY HH24:MI:SS');
>But that seems an abnormally long command.
>A little help? J
>Chris Taylor
>Sr. Oracle DBA

Hemant K Chitale