RE: Merge datafile to Another DATABASE

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jeremiah_at_ora-600.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 11:32:49 -0800

Mark W. Farnham wrote:

> Now if transportable tablespaces won't work for you, there are a couple of
companies out
> there that have utilities designed to scan datafiles to produce files
useful for loading
> your data from a damaged database that cannot be started from the
datafiles of tablespaces
> that remain viable. You'll need to be specific with them about what
release, and I do not
> think any of them operate as a free service (nor am I suggesting they
should).

Direct data unload is pricey and there is no guarantee that the resulting data will be a perfect representation of the committed data at any particular moment in time. It is a solution of last resort when all conventional solutions have failed.

As Carel-Jan mentioned, top among those who can provide direct data unloading services are Kurt Van Meerbeeck in the Netherlands (I think), who owns a domain name very similar to mine, and provides his jDUL/DUDE service through Miracle in Denmark. Besides Kurt, Oracle Consulting will charge you a minimum of several tens of thousands of dollars to even think about using their Oracle internal-only DUL tool on your system.

I also provide a service to unload most platforms and most versions reliably.

There are a few others that have developed unloaders, but I cannot vouch for their effectiveness. One notable example is Lou Fanxin. Mr. Lou generously provides his AUL/MyDUL program for free download, but I am embarrassed to say I haven't tested it out yet.

It doesn't sound like the OP needs direct data unloading, but that's a survey of the available services.

Jeremiah Wilton
ORA-600 Consulting
http://www.ora-600.net