Re: Merge command

From: Greg Rahn <>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 19:28:33 -0800

I would offer a slightly different approach: Create an external table from the flat file and then use the merge command directly against it. Saves you from needing a internal staging table.

Merge is more efficient if there are few updates, vs few inserts. Other than that I haven't run across any issues per se.

On 1/9/08, <> wrote:
> Hi all:
> I am running v and looking to using the MERGE command to load data
> from a flat file. Some of the rows
> in the flat file are new and needs to be inserted into a fact table, other
> - need to replace existing ones.
> I am planinng to have the application team load their file into a staging
> table via SQL*Loader and then load
> the data into the fact table via MERGE command. I have not used this
> command before; are there any issues
> that I should be aware of in terms of performance or bugs?
> thank you
> Gene Gurevich

Greg Rahn