RE: Using Direct I/O Filesystem for Oracle Database

From: Herring Dave - dherri <Dave.Herring_at_acxiom.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 10:30:53 -0600

Muhammad Salman Faheem,

As with any changes made to address a performance problem, make sure you have a way to measure the effect of the change. You must have a query or two that are existing issues, so use those queries with Oracle stats and waits to show differences before / after the change. Then you'll know for sure the impact of the change you made.

Dave

Dave Herring |   A c x i o m   M I C S / C S O 630-944-4762 office | 630-430-5988 wireless | 630-944-4898 fax

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Junior DBA Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 11:41 PM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Using Direct I/O Filesystem for Oracle Database

BismillahirRehmanirRahim

Hi All,

We are running Oracle 10g R1 on Sun SPARC Solaris 9 Sun Fire V890 Server.

By default we have following setting in the Database:

disk_asynch_io = TRUE
filesystemio_options= asynch &
db_writer_processes=1
dbwr_io_slaves =0

To improve Disk I/O Performance We re-mount Oracle Database FileSystems [ containing Datafiles,logfiles & archive logs] with forcedirectio,noatime option.

After remounting the Oracle Filesystems with forcedirectio,noatime i changed the filesystemio_options to setall i.e.

filesystemio_options=setall

(1) I need to know if i missed something or made any mistake.

(2) Do i need to change dbwr_io_slaves  or db_writer_processes values

(3) What else i could do to improve DISK I/O performance

Appreciate your valuable feedback.

Best Regards,

Your DBA Colleague
Muhammad Salman Faheem

The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged.

If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please resend this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system.

Thank you.