Re: Flash technology based HDD will it make significant difference for OLTP applications?

From: Finn Jorgensen <finn.oracledba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 10:30:27 -0500

I've implemented a Solid State Disk solution in a previous job, but it was on a MySQL database. This particular application was extremely "database centric" which is to say almost all communication between different pieces of the application was written as calls to the database. Not very efficient, but that's how it goes sometimes when an application is written for a low workload and that workload then grows over time to a level the company didn't think of when they wrote it.

In that case the purchase was made because the company had an immediate scaling problem and did not have the resources to rewrite the application in the immediate future. It was easier just throwing money at HW and it did solve the problem for a while.

Finn