Re: Oracle recommends rebuilding IOTs in AQ to reduce redo

From: Greg Rahn <>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 18:29:05 -0800

The coalesce would be a better option IMO (I've personally used this as a recommendation from the AQ dev team) and it can be done while the workload is in progress, while a rebuild requires the queues to be stopped.

Another recommendation I received is *not* to use ASSM tablespaces for the queues.

What db version is this?
What is the queue navigation type (first or next message)? Are you doing single row or array enqueues/dequeues?

On 1/6/08, Jonathan Lewis <> wrote:
> In simple indexes, the optimum solution to this type of problem
> is usually a coalesce, rather than a rebuild. Given that Queues
> are IOTs that you're not really supposed to know about, it's
> not too surprising that Oracle has suggested a rebuild instead.

Greg Rahn