RE: Server Architecture

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 15:51:08 -0500

Without addressing the separate owner part of the thread, if you are indeed providing for sparse individualization of ORACLE_HOMEs to accommodate, for example, varying uptime service level requirements, and especially to avoid the timeliness of oratab edits and memo-passing for multi-DBA, sysadmin, and operations teams, it can be most useful to have a symbolic link as the listed ORACLE_HOME with one link per database. Then the atomic action of updating the link maintains coherency, unless you have multiple DBAs simultaneously trying to work on the same database without real time coordination, and that is a different problem entirely introducing unknown orders of magnitude greater chaos into the equation.

Part of the thread started using the word "instance" in place of "database" - at least that is what I got from a speed read of the thread - let's please avoid that. Rare indeed is the patching of an instance.

Regards,

mwf