Results of my Oracle Poll!!

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 17:00:52 -0800 (PST)

I have posted the results of my Oracle Poll on my blog! Some summary results:

  1. Which of the following (if any) Oracle DBA conferences do you feel you get the most benefit out of? Surprising winner was: User conferences? Who has the money? with 18% of the vote!

Of the conferences listed, the popular ones are (in order):

IOUG - Collaborate with 17% of the vote
HOTSOS and Local User Conferences tied with 13% of the vote each. Oracle Open World got 11% of the votes.
I should point out that HOTSOS was a late entrant to the poll, so this 13% is a very strong showing!!

2. If a new Oracle book were written now, which topic would you find of the most interest? The top vote getter was Another Oracle DBA topic of interest not listed here with 28% of the vote. The topics listed in the subsequent question were wide and varied (and a couple I won't repeat).

The next question: How many Oracle books did you buy in 2007 for yourself? The most popular answer was 1-2 books (45%). That actually surprised me!

SADLY, most of you have not installed Oracle Database 11g yet. Only 41%
of you said you have. The rest of you had not. Happily, not one person
voted for SQL Server instead!!

Who is the most popular author?
Jonathan Lewis was #1 followed right behind by Tom Kyte.

If you want to see the results of the entire poll, check it out on my blog!

I hope you liked the poll. I'll be doing another one shortly as I thought it was great fun and sparked at least one good discussion here on Oracle-L!!

Robert

Robert G. Freeman
Author:
Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Portable DBA: Oracle (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) Oracle9i New Feature
Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com (Oracle Press)