Re: Any reference about use of CSS in Non-RAC ASM instance,

From: Sanjay Mishra <smishra_97_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 15:25:26 -0800 (PST)

Yes Dan is correct. You don't need to install CRS as css is installed with 10g when you the root.sh as root. It is correct that you need css daemon in order to create the ASM instance and it is by default running on Non-RAC instance due to entry in /etc/inittab mostly or /etc/rc3.d/xxx file. So even you are not using ASM, you will see one of these CSS daemon process which can be removed using $ORACLE_HOME/bin/localconfig utility or using /etc/init.d/initcss like script and then removing from inittab file.

You can even create this daemon using $ORACLE_HOME/bin/localconfig add kind of command. Please google for exact syntax but I had used this several times on my Solaris box where I am running ASM for Non-RAC databases.

Rgds
Sanjay

You don't have to install Clusterware to use ASM--the CSS daemon will be installed with the ASM installation. However, if you have Clusterware installed, the CSS daemon from Clusterware will be used instead of the ASM-installed CSS process.

I haven't seen this documented anywhere--it's from observations made after doing installs.

Dan

What this basically means is that you have to install CRS first, which in turn will install the CSS daemon. CRS is a requirement for running ASM whether you're in a single instance or RAC environment.

Finn

On 12/27/07, hansraj sao <hansrajsao_at_gmail.com> wrote: Hi,

Does any one have details note/white paper which describe use of CSS(Cluster Synchronization Services ) in Non-RAC ASM instance. i went thru a ASM book and few Metalink notes but did not get much datails other than everywhere its written that

 "CSS daemon process is required to enable synchronization between Oracle ASM and database instances. It must be running if an Oracle database is using ASM for database file storage. "

Can anyone point any note/white paper which describe use of CSS in non-RAC ASM instance.
--

Thanks,
Hansraj

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping