Bizarre database clone/restore scenario

From: Kevin Lidh <kevin.lidh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 08:45:18 -0700

Hey list, I'm hoping the solution to this scenario isn't as complicated as telling the story:

On December 3rd, my customer asked that we take a backup of a database to be used to clone later. On December 6th, we had to fail that database over to our standby node thus creating a new incarnation. On December 27th, the customer wants a clone built from that December 3rd backup.

I know I can't just do a straight clone based on SCN or date because RMAN will complain about the restore being from before the resetlogs. I can't do a "reset database to incarnation" with the target being open (for a clone). Is there a trick or documented procedure (I have the FMs but haven't found this scenario in it) to getting the restore done in one incarnation while the database is up in another incarnation?

There might be an additional complication of having to catalog the backup files but I'm not anticipating this being an issue either way.

Thanks in advance for any input,

Kevin Lidh