Re: ASM disks with UNKNOWN header status, can't create disk group

From: Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 08:44:18 -0600

This is not just a dbca/gui thing. I get the same error when running in sqlplus in the +ASM instance.

SQL> CREATE DISKGROUP dgroup1

  2      EXTERNAL REDUNDANCY
  3      DISK 'ORCL:VOL01','ORCL:VOL02';
CREATE DISKGROUP dgroup1
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-15018: diskgroup cannot be created
ORA-15072: command requires at least 1 failure groups, discovered only 0

Permissions look right. They are set by /etc/init.d/oracleasm.

$ ls -l /dev/oracleasm/disks/
total 0
brw-rw---- 1 oracle dba 8, 129 Dec 26 14:49 VOL01 brw-rw---- 1 oracle dba 8, 113 Dec 26 14:49 VOL02

Don.