Re: Meaning of v$sqlarea.users_opening

From: Mark Anderson <fnmpa_at_uaf.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 14:02:58 -0900 (AKST)

I can focus my earlier question somewhat. The continuously climbing value of sum(250*users_opening) over time is because of a small number of very large and increasing values of v$sqlarea.users_opening:

TEST> select * from (select users_opening, sql_text from v$sqlarea order by users_opening desc) where rownum < 5

USERS_OPENING SQL_TEXT

------------- ------------------------------------------------------------
        20612 begin bwgkjpay.P_Java_Client_Get_Request(:1,:2,:3,:4); end;
         3559 SELECT sys_context(:b2,:b1) from sys.dual
         3439 begin dbms_session.reset_package; end;
       2019.5 SELECT SYSDATE FROM DUAL

TEST> select count(*) from v$session where username is not null;

  COUNT(*)

        49

v$sqlarea.users_opening is defined in the Database Reference as

USERS_OPENING NUMBER Number of users that have any of the child cursors open

Q1: What is the meaning of a fractional value of users_opening in the fourth row of the results?
Q2: How can ~21000 users have a child cursor open for the SQL in the first row of results when there are only 49 users logged in?

Thank you,

Mark Anderson
University of Alaska