RE: Operations that perform multiblock I/O and cluster factor

From: Riku Räsänen <riku.rasanen_at_kantamestarit.fi>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 22:11:31 +0200 (EET)

Actually, I have seen "db file scattered read" on INDEX RANGE SCAN, and I had a 10046 trace file for that, but was unable to find it (I must have deleted it).

This was a very degenerate case, where the entire table was accessed through single column index (hinted). The trace file showed around 70% "db file scattered read", 20% "db file sequential read" and around 5% "db file parallel read". This was Oracle 9.2.0.6 on Linux.

Don't know what is causing that, though. The column did have a very bad clustering factor.

<"Allen, Brandon">

--
Riku Räsänen
Kantamestarit OY