Re: Cluster File System Versus ASM for RAC Deployment in Production?... Pros & Cons

From: Peter McLarty <peter.mclarty_at_pacificdbms.com.au>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 12:35:32 +1000

Hi
I have worked on an installation of RAC and ASM for most of the year and our experience has been that RAC is solid, and resilient to failure. We did some nasty tests like pulling a SAN zone to crash the mirror of the ASM and whilst it certainly didn't like it the database remained functional through the entire event. We then reconnected the SAN and was able to fully refresh the mirror after the event with no down time.

We also kept failing individual disksgroups aka slices of SAN on one side of the ASM mirror until it failed entirely and then it was rebuilt just the same as for the rapid failure.

The rebalancing is a bit of a kludge in 10G but it did work.

Yes I would recommend ASM to customers

Cheers

Peter