Re: Tuning RMAN backup and recovery

From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 17:55:46 -0700

Thank you, Ranko.

Of course, I was simplifying for the purpose of explanation.

As it happens, the platters all spin synchronously, and -- as you point out yourself -- the heads all move synchronously. That there are multiples of each is actually completely irrelevant with respect to understanding basic disk drive physics, or the nature of "I/O contention". In terms of "geometry", the disk effectively still *logically *has one head and one platter. The actual number of heads and platters generally affects only one thing: transfer rate. And transfer rate itself is almost meaningless in the context of single-block random reads -- at least as long as (average-seek-time + rotational-latency) exceeds single block transfer time by orders of magnitude.

When I referred to disks with "multiple heads" no longer existing, I was actually referring to "multiple heads *per platter*". Such things *used* to exist (N independent heads per platter increases random I/Os per second by a factor of *at least* N, and with a good scheduling algorithm, much better than that) but I have not seen such a device in a very long time.

The references you have linked to do look quite good. I have not read them in detail, but these do look like good resources for somebody who wants to better understand how disk drives work. And a good basic understanding of disk drive behaviour is very important indeed to a DBA trying to tune I/O performance.

--
Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead