Re: _gby_hash_aggregation_enabled=false

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:35:38 -0000

I've just tried the following on 10.2.0.1

    select owner, count(*) from dba_objects     group by owner;

Autotrace produced a plan with a hash group by.

Then I did
alter session set "_gby_hash_aggregation_enabled" = false; and repeated the query - the plan switched to a sort group by

(Your sample query from v$sql_plan defaulted to a sort group by anyway, which is why I had to find another query).

A possible explanation for your observation - if I ran the test using SQL_TRACE rather than autotrace, the first cursor was not invalidated when I changed the setting for the parameter. Try repeating your test with a comment in the text to make the before and after versions of the query look different.

You might also try the /*+ no_use_hash_aggregation */ hint.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com

Author: Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentals