Re: Mysterious failure!

From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason_at_blisses.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 11:25:44 -0500

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 12:56:02PM -0500, Debaditya Chatterjee wrote:

> Ideally you should have done a hang analyze before killing the oracle
> processes. Is there any information in your alert.log at the time of hang ?

I'm not finding an alert.log... If it's of any use, this was an Oracle 8 database imported into 10G long before I arrived, and I think there are a number of 8isms that still exist. Perhaps a lack of adequate logging is one of them...?

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 10:32:11PM -0500, Finn Jorgensen wrote:

> However, you said the database was unresponsive. This bug only affects
> clients using instant client [1]10.2.0.1. The DB itself is fine. You said
> rman was unresponsive as well, which is not part of instant client?!

We also had some Java clients fail to connect, which is how we noticed the problem in the first place. I don't have an answer for why rman couldn't connect, but that the box was at precisely 248 days of uptime is too much to be coincidence. I can only imagine that there was something odd with the server internally as well. Unfortunately, we (for some value of "we") chose to reboot the server rather than move to a stand-by, leaving the failed server available for more intensive diagnostics.

--
Mason Loring Bliss          mason_at_blisses.org          Ewige Blumenkraft!
awake ? sleep : random() & 2 ? dream : sleep; -- Hamlet, Act III, Scene I