RE: Location of the tnsnames.ora file in 10.2.0.1 instant client

From: John Hallas <john.hallas_at_bjss.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 08:33:26 -0000

As instant client is generally used by an application account for a specific database we use a connect string

sqlplus
username@'(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=HOST)(Port=1521))(CO NNECT_DATA=(SID=XXXX)))' -----Original Message-----
From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Allen, Brandon Sent: 29 November 2007 20:45
To: peter.schauss_at_ngc.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Location of the tnsnames.ora file in 10.2.0.1 instant client

Not sure if it's the same for instant client, but I think you can set TNS_ADMIN to point it to the right directory, or check the oracle.key file in your ORACLE_HOME/bin directory and that should direct you to the right area of the registry. There are metalink notes with more details - just search for "oracle.key".

BJSS Limited, 1st Floor Coronet House, Queen Street, Leeds LS1 2TW. Registered in England with company number 2777575. http://www.bjss.co.uk