RE: Oracle ASM on solaris

From: <krish.hariharan_at_quasardb.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 18:49:55 -0700

Prasad,

There are quite a few papers in Metalink and technet that talk about ASM best practices. In the last few clusters I built on Solaris it was pretty straight forward once you install the clusterware. While I have not mixed 10g versions, I keep the CRS, ASM, and Listener the same version (>= the RDBMS). I have migrated 10g databases into RAC so in that sense run different releases of the ASM and RDBMS (for a very short while) which is not quite the same as running different versions for extended production use.

As regards to 10g db w/ 11g ASM see Note:337737.1 . However, having dealt with RMAN for the last several years across pretty much all the versions of Oracle, I would suggest that you test this thoroughly. I have seen pretty weird bugs show up when you are across versions and perhaps on the fringes of norm.

Regards,

-Krish